I'm not able to see a difference between the two methods here:

from pylab import *
import numpy as np

r = np.arange(0, 3.0, 0.01)
theta = 2*np.pi*r
fig = figure()
ax = fig.add_axes([0.1, 0.1, 0.8, 0.8], polar=True)
ax.plot(theta, r)
show()

polar(theta, r)
show()

Can you provide a standalone script that demonstrates the difference?
What version of matplotlib are you using?

Cheers,
Mike

--
Michael Droettboom