Hi Per,

The just-released mpl 0.99 contains Jae-Joon Lee's AxesGrid Toolkit
<http://matplotlib.sourceforge.net/mpl_toolkits/axes_grid/users/overview.html>
and Andrew Straw's support for axis spines
<http://matplotlib.sourceforge.net/examples/pylab_examples/spine_placement_demo.html?highlight=spine>

I think these address both your questions. The list of new features is here:
<http://matplotlib.sourceforge.net/users/whats_new.html#new-in-matplotlib-0-99>

Gary