I created a simple scatter plot and a service routine to print out the
coordinates of the points I pick with the cursor (based on the demo). It works
until I select the pan or zoom cursor. After I zoom or pan,  I can no longer
get back to the normal cursor which allows me to "pick" a circle. Even clicking
"home" doesn't help.

The code is shown below

from matplotlib import figure,pyplot
from numpy import linspace,sin,take

fig=pyplot.figure()

ax1=fig.add_subplot(1,1,1) # (numRows, numCols, plotNum)

t=linspace(0,10,100)
y1=sin(5*t)
y2=y1+sin(10*t)

line1=ax1.scatter(y1,y2,picker=True)

def onpick1(event):
    ind = event.ind
    print 'onpick1 scatter:', ind, take(y1, ind), take(y2, ind)

fig.canvas.mpl_connect('pick_event', onpick1)
pyplot.show()

this is based on the demo at

http://matplotlib.sourceforge.net/examples/event_handling/pick_event_demo.html?highlight=scatter

Marc Desmarais