On Sun, Sep 6, 2009 at 11:11, Tsviki Hirsh<tsviki.hi...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Dear list,
> I were trying to install matplotlib 0.99 on my ubuntu interpid, I had
> previously installed and extensively used the great 0.98 version.
> There is not seem to be any .deb file for 0.99 on ubuntu.packages site yet,

yes, we know and we are working on it (I'm holding this back a bit due
to other committements, and because ubuntu is in feature freeze for
the upcoming release).

> so I tried to untar and install the source file.
> The installation went smoothly, and when I print the value of __version__
> from matplotlib within ipython, it says "0.99".
> However, when I try to import axes3d from matplotlib, it shouts at me that
> this module is disable in matplotlib 0.98 (!).
> So the question is, should I uninstall 0.98 before compiling the 0.99 source
> or what?

well, this is hardly a question for this list (I see it more for
ubuntu forums), but yes, either you remove python-matplotlib package
(it's and 'apt-get update' away to reinstall if needed), or you play
with sys.path, PYTHONPATH, and so on. For personal packages, you can
also install them into a directory in ~ (using the --root and --prefix
when setup.py install).

Regards,