I won't mention how long it had been so I had done this, but I had to move the
file to /Users/paul/.matplotlib in Terminal since Mac OSX won't let you do that
in Finder (sigh). This made everything work splendidly. I even got it to work
in the present working directory (not sure how I was messing that up earlier).

Thanks so much, Tony.

Paul M. Hobson
Senior Staff Engineer
--