Hi Jouni,

thanks again for your advice.

I don't think that I do have 'some setting that causes temporary files to end
up in the root directory", because my system is more or less kubuntu (8.04)
out of the box.

But maybe you are nevertheless right, because in tmp there are ./root
and ./lost+found, which I am not allowed to enter.
Finally this error is due to the behaviour of ps-backend and my TEX-path,
which searches in all sub-directories.

Thanks a lot for your time and advice to locate the root of the strange
behaviour.

Kind regards,
Matthias