This is not a bug.
The exception is raised simply because "textartist.figure" is None
(and it is None because you never set it).
"textartist" you created is not properly set up (no figure, no axes,
no transform). You may do

textartist = Text(0.5, 0.5, "Foo")
textartist.set_figure(fig)
fig.draw_artist(textartist)
fig.canvas.blit(fig.bbox)

But, this is not the recommended way of doing things.
draw_artist is mainly for doing animation.

http://matplotlib.sourceforge.net/examples/animation/index.html

Regards,

-JJ