Hi,

> For newbies to MPL, needed imports seem a bit baffling. scipy, pylab,
> matplotlib, ...? What libs or lib components do  I only need for a
> particular use? Suppose I want to produce a scatter, contour, or 3d

Like you said: Depends on the particular use. How to give a universal answer?

Matplotlib does very much for you, but you still need to use your head a
little bit. Nobody forces you to  "from pylab import *" if a "from pylab
import linspace" was enough. So take a look at you code, that should be
enough. If you are still not satisfied maybe you try to search for "python
unused imports", maybe you find a profiler or something like that that helps
you. In addition, reading the documentation text to the functions (with ?func
or help func in ipython) helps to find out where the modules come from if you
did excessive importing jobs before.