Dear matplotlib users,

        I have a problem with my plots, it is that the plot
axes and the tick marks are too small, is there a way to increase the
'lineweight' and size of these basic features?
        I am not asking about axis label text size and that of the
information inside the plot, but rather the basic skeleton of the plot. I
suppose I can make thicker ticks by hand w/ the xvline and xhline modules,
but I'd rather not do it this way.
        Also I often find that the xlabel is too close to the plot box
(xaxis) is there a way to increase this distance besides making my own
labels via text.

Thanks,
Matthew