Mike,

There are a couple of ways. See below:

# untested, might have typos ~~~~
import numpy as np
import matplotlib.pyplot as pl

x = np.random.randn(20)
fig = pl.figure()
ax = pl.add_subplot(1,1,1)

# you can specify the marker size two ways directly:
ax.plot(x, 'ko', markersize=4) # size in points
ax.plot(x, 'bs', ms=4) % ms is just an alias for markersize

# or you can specify it after the plotting:
X = ax.plot(x, 'ko') # X is a *list* of line2d objects...

X[0].set_markersize(4) # set_ms works too
# or...
pl.setp(Y, markersize=4) # again, ms works.

For a list of all the properties you can tweak, type:
pl.getp(<object>)

HTH,
-paul