Mathew Yeates wrote:
> lets say I want  to shade the area with lat/lon corners 34.-117  and
> 35,-116
>
> but my map was created with projection='aeqd'
>
> The shade area will not be a rectangle. In fact the edges will be
> curved. See the basemap code for "tissot". I think every point on the
> boundary of the lat/lon box has to projected to a line segment.  The
> collection of resulting segments forms an irregular polygon.
>
> Mathew

Mathew:  Right - it will only be a rectangle in a cylindrical
projection.  The question remains - what do you want?  If you want a
rectangle in map projection coordinates, just specify the vertices of a
rectangle in map projection coordinates.  If you really want a polygon
with vertices corresponding to those lat/on values, a polygon with
curved sides is the right answer for that map projection.

-Jeff