2010/8/14 Rob Schneider <rmsc...@rmschneider.com>:
>> Agreed. The only thing I can think of is that the second figure is
>> reusing the first. You can try calling plt.figure() at the beginning
>> of the functions to create a new figure, or call plt.figure() in
>> between the calls to CreateMemberStatCategoryFigure() and
>> CreateMemberStatFigure(). I can't be sure since you didn't include the
>> code that actually calls these functions.

Still, there shouldn't be artists rendered outside of the axes.  I
often replot things and do not create a new figure.  I believe there
is something under the hood!  It *should* be unnecessary to create a
new fig, although it surely fixes the thing, and is an easy enough
fix.

> Thanks.  Indeed I did provide the code that actually calls these functions
> and the functions show all plotting-related lines.  Yes, I did not provide
> the single line call that calls the function that calls the two plotting
> functions, nor did I provide the call which starts the Python program. And I
> did not provide runnable code. Everyone's attention was on what code I did or
> did not provide. It was all there.  Naively I thought by code inspection by
> experts who read this mailing list they could quickly spot my flaw.

You know, we are all volunteering our time here on the list to help,
and I think blaming us to not be able to read hundred lines of code is
not productive at all.  It's not our side of the task to track whole
parts of programs down.  And, usually one has to play with the code
and to run it to see if it fixes the problem!

You can help improving matplotlib by providing the things the core
developers or experienced Python users like me need to track the error
down inside of matplotlib.

Friedrich

P.S.: Try to not think in experts and customers terms.