On Fri, Sep 17, 2010 at 4:37 PM, Jeremy Lewi <jl...@intellisis.com> wrote:

>  HI,
>

> Is there a way to get the size of the bounding box for the axes which
> includes the axes labels and tick marks? It looks like
> Axes.get_position/set_position refers to the inner position (i.e the actual
> plot area).
>

> In matlab (http://www.mathworks.com/help/techdoc/ref/axes_props.html) this
> was the outer and inner position of an axes. I would like to get the outer
> position (i.e the yellow box in
> http://www.mathworks.com/help/techdoc/ref/axes_props.html)
>

> Thanks
>
> Jeremy
>

> Jeremy Lewi
>
> Engineering Scientist
>
> The Intellisis Corporation
>
> jl...@intellisis.com

Jeremy,

Yes, get/set_position refers to the position of the plot area within a
particular axes area in a figure.  I am not exactly aware of how one
determines its outer boundary box, because there really isn't an outer box.
Everything within an axes area is plotted within coordinates of 0 to 1.  The
plot box is set typically at 0.125 to 0.9.  Axes labels are then draw as an
offset relative to the plot area.  This can cause the axes labels and figure
titles to  overlap each other in neighboring subplots if they get too big.

Tony Yu did make some  code to help deal with display issues surrounding the
lack of a constrained outer box.  See this link for some discussion of it
and the code.  Maybe it can help you with whatever you need.

http://permalink.gmane.org/gmane.comp.python.matplotlib.general/24652

I hope that helps!
Ben Root