Hi John,

thanks for the reply, but I think your method is not working:

On Wed, Sep 29, 2010 at 15:39, John Hunter <jdh2...@gmail.com> wrote:

> On Wed, Sep 29, 2010 at 4:44 AM, Alexander Dietz
> <alexanderdie...@googlemail.com> wrote:
>
> > I would like to know how to find out the extend of the actual image in a
> > plot, in units of pixels.
> > As example I have attached a plot which is essentially empty. The lower
> left
> > corner is indicated by a red dot - what pixel position does this location
> > have? When opening this image in e.g. kview it is easy to find out that
> this
> > left corner of the actual plot corresponds to pixel (100,540). And so the
> > upper right corner (the yellow dot) is (720,60).
> >
> > But how do I find out these coordinates when generating such a plot with
> > matplotlib? Are there some variables of the axis or the actual plot that
> > contain these numbers?
>
> Take a look at the transformations tutorial.
>
>  http://matplotlib.sourceforge.net/users/transforms_tutorial.html
>
> To convert from data -> pixel coordinates, use the axes transData
> transformation
>
>  In [1]: ax = gca()
>
>  In [2]: ax.transData.transform((0.5, 0.5))
>  Out[2]: array([ 333.125,  245.   ])

I have create a different plot (attached) and the point of the upper right
corner (the yellow dot) is still at (720,60) as before. But with transData I
get a completely wrong result:

print ax.transData.transform((10.0, 20.0))
[ 576.  432.]

Also the lower left points gets wrong coordinates. Maybe I am doing
something stupidly wrong here?

Thanks
  Alex