Tony S Yu <tsy...@gmail.com> writes:

> This is probably unrelated, but I can't even use serif fonts on the
> MacOSX backend (it just shows up as sans-serif). I tried Times New
> Roman, Vera, and a Computer Modern unicode font that I normally use).

I noticed that I didn't really get Vera either, probably because I don't
have it installed via the usual OS X way, and the MacOSX backend only
uses fonts that it can find via CTFontCreateWithName or
ATSFontFindFromPostScriptName, depending on the OS X version it's
compiled for. Do you see these fonts in Font Book?

--
Jouni K. Seppänen
http://www.iki.fi/jks