Hi JJ,

thanks a lot for your Answer. Now I have understand how this works and
created my one formatter:

class MyFormatter(object):
    def __init__(self, fmt='$%f$'):
            self.fmt = fmt
    def __call__(self, direction, factor, values):
            return [self.fmt % v for v in values]

Is there something like this already in Matplotlib? I looked into
axisartist but can not find anything similar.

Regards

Stefan