I don't think "polar" is a good fit for your case. Instead, you can
simply use "data" coordinate with explicit coordinate transformation.
Try something like;

    for i in xrange(5):
        theta = i*1.3+1.5
        xx = center[0]+(radius-4)*math.cos(theta)
        yy = center[1]+(radius-4)*math.sin(theta)
        pyplot.annotate(str(i+1), (xx, yy), color='g', va="center", ha="center")

-JJ