Daniel Fulger, on 2011-01-27 18:16,  wrote:
> Dear all,
>
> contourset = pyplot.contour(..)
>
> calculates the contourset but also grabs whatever figure is currently
> active *somewhere* in the entire code
> and whichever scope it was created. The contours are plotted into it.
>
> While I could possibly live with that, I would really like to
> suppress any plotting and grabbig of focus. Only the contourset
> should be calculated.
>
> I can't find anything that describes this. Everybody wants the plot,
> not me.
>
> I would like to avoid hte workaround  to ask for the currently active
> figure (if!! there is one at all), store the number, and later return
> focus. Is there no switch parameter (in pyplot or for contour at
> least) that turns plotting off?

Hi Daniel,

I'm not sure if this gets at what you're asking for, but if
you just want the contours plotted on a figure other than the
currently active one, grab a handle to some other axes and call
contour from the axes itself (the parameters are the same).
Here's what I mean:

-----------
f,ax  =plt.subplots(1,1) #grab handles to figure and axes
# or, if you're using an older version of matplotlib, do:
# f=plt.figure();ax=plt.subplot(1,1,1)

f2,ax2  =plt.subplots(1,1) # "f" no longer active figure
contourset = ax.contour(...) # draw to the old figure "f"
-----------

You can read more about the difference between using pyplot and
using the object-oriented api here:

http://matplotlib.sourceforge.net/faq/usage_faq.html

On the other hand, if you just want the contour to not show up,
you can pass it alpha=0.0 to make it completely transparent and
invisible (but it's still there)

contourset = pyplot.contour(.., alpha=0.0)
# later call contourset.set_alpha(1.0) to make visible again

best,
--
Paul Ivanov
314 address only used for lists,  off-list direct email at: