On Mon, Mar 28, 2011 at 8:19 AM, Paulo J. Matos <pocma...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I am trying to use matplotlib on a server which I don't run without it
> installed. I tried untarring it to a folder in the path of PYTHONPATH
> and using it directly without any luck.
>
> Has anyone successfully installed matplotlib and its dependencies under
> a user account?

Sure, that's not particularly difficult.  But untarring won't be
enough.  You also have to build it.  We'd need to know more about your
platform to help, but basically: install the dependencies and then run

> python setup.py install --prefix=~/mylocal

On ubuntu and similar, you can get the build dependencies by first doing

 > sudo python setup.py build_dep python-matplotlib

See http://matplotlib.sourceforge.net/users/installing.html

For running on a web app server, see also

http://matplotlib.sourceforge.net/faq/howto_faq.html#matplotlib-in-a-web-application-server

JDH