Attached is a modified version of Tony's script.

 * no drawing is necessary
 * support subplots that span multiple rows/columns

Please test it and let me know of any problem.

I'm planning to push these functionality into matplolib after some
refactoring (e.g., it would be good to have pyplot.tight_layout).

Regards,

-JJ