We started using Python 2.7.2 a week or two ago, and I'm now running into
this problem when attempting to build matplotlib 1.0.1 on several of our
machines:

basedirlist is: []
BUILDING MATPLOTLIB
            matplotlib: 1.0.1
                python: 2.7.2 (default_cci, Jun 28 2011, 12:34:28)  [GCC
                        4.0.1 (Apple Computer, Inc. build 5367)]
              platform: darwin

REQUIRED DEPENDENCIES
                 numpy: 1.5.1
             freetype2: found, but unknown version (no pkg-config)
                        * WARNING: Could not find 'freetype2' headers in any
                        * of '.', './freetype2'.

OPTIONAL BACKEND DEPENDENCIES
                libpng: found, but unknown version (no pkg-config)
                        * Could not find 'libpng' headers in any of '.'
Traceback (most recent call last):
  File "setup.py", line 162, in <module>
    if check_for_tk() or (options['build_tkagg'] is True):
  File
"/Volumes/Scratch1/nat/phenix_installer/build-source/mac-intel-osx/patchnose/tmp/matplotl
ib-1.0.1/setupext.py", line 832, in check_for_tk
    (Tkinter.__version__.split()[-2], Tkinter.TkVersion,
Tkinter.TclVersion))
IndexError: list index out of range

When I run the version of Python that I'm using to build matplotlib, this is
what I'm seeing:

>>> import Tkinter
>>> Tkinter.__version__
'$Revision$'

I don't need or want Tkinter support either in Python or in matplotlib, but
it appears to be impossible to disable Tkinter when compiling Python.  Is
there a way around this problem without patching the Python build, or
matplotlib, or both?

thanks,
Nat