On Wed, Aug 17, 2011 at 3:29 PM, hari jayaram <hari...@gmail.com> wrote:

> Hi everyone,
> I have successfully plotted a set of 372 (x,y,z )  scattered values in  7
> series. Each point is a circle colored according to a color based on a
> simple lookup table.
>
> # Lookup table for color
> col_lut = dict(Bistris7p2 = "burlywood", Cit7p2 = "c",APhosph8p0 = "m",
> Acetate5p5 = "k",Borate8p5 = "y",Mes6p7 = "c",Hep8p2 = "g",ATris9p0 = "r")
>
> I was wondering how can I have a legend for this color code positioned
> somewhere alongside or within the interactive 3D figure.
> The legend text would be the col_lut keys and the colored values would be a
> box or circle filled with color alongside. I am sorry I couldnt find an
> appropriate example to help with the legend creation and am asking to be
> spoon fed.
>
> Do I use a matplotlib widget or some other utility to programmatically do
> this.
>
> Thanks for your help
> Hari

Legend-handling in mplot3d is no different from how it is done for 2D
plots.  I don't know exactly how to do your particular example, but it would
likely involve passing legend() a list of Patch objects that represent the
markers you made, along with names.

Maybe these examples might be useful?

http://matplotlib.sourceforge.net/examples/pylab_examples/legend_demo.html
http://matplotlib.sourceforge.net/examples/pylab_examples/legend_demo2.html
http://matplotlib.sourceforge.net/examples/pylab_examples/legend_demo3.html

This one in particular might be very relevant:

http://matplotlib.sourceforge.net/examples/pylab_examples/legend_scatter.html

I hope that helps!
Ben Root