I have a figure with a number of plots that analyze a source image. I wish
to show the plots along side the image. Unfortunately whichever method I
call last clobbers (leaves blank axes) for the previously called method.

To illustrate:

fig, axs = pylab.subplots(10, 4, sharex=True, sharey=True)

for i in range(10):

  axs[i,0].plot(some_data)
  axs[i,1].plot(some_data)
  axs[i,2].plot(some_data)

axs[i,3].imshow(some_image)

#=====

The above shows only the images in the fourth column. If, however, I call
imshow() first, followed by the call to plot(), then only the plot axes
appear and the images disappear.

Is there a way to both plot and display images in the same figure?

-Adam