IMHO, when looking for basics and even more with intent to replicate some
graph, it's easy to start by looking at matplotlib gallery:
http://matplotlib.sourceforge.net/gallery.html and find best match.

In you case:
http://matplotlib.sourceforge.net/examples/pylab_examples/histogram_demo_extended.html
http://matplotlib.sourceforge.net/examples/pylab_examples/table_demo.html

for stacked bars, then look at code magic.

I'm new user to matplotlib also, and was looking for easy way to create
stacked bars some time ago, but unfortunately it's a bit more complicated
than regular plot 'stuff'. I found gnuplot easier for stacked bars, but than
as said my experience with matplotlib is basic

Cheers