The standard navigation toolbar has tools that press in and stay pressed to
put the interation into a "mode", like zoom mode or pan mode.  You press
the zoom tool, it stays shown as pressed in while it's in that mode.

I am trying to add a new custom tool to the toolbar, and want it to put
things into a mode as well, and therefore stay pressed in until pressed
again.  How do I do that?

This is using the wxAgg backend.  I searched through backend_wxagg and
backend_bases and couldn't figure it out.  Normally in wxPython you specify
the style of a tool as having, to quote its API, "wxITEM_CHECK for a
checkable tool (such tool stays pressed after it had been toggled) "  Here
I didn't see any option for that.

Thanks,
Che