Hi

Thank you for trying to help me, though I can't see how aspect is going
to help me. As I understand of the documentation, it would require me to
know the
relationship between x and y, which I don't.
I can calculate it, but since it varies between each change in xlimits
and different plot, it would be the same as calculating the ylimits.

As for pyplot.xlim(xmin,xmax) (suggested by Ethan Swint), it does the same
as ax.set_xlim() for me.

Below is a sample code that will illustrate the problem.

Regards

Pål

####### Start code ############

#!/usr/bin/env python
import matplotlib
matplotlib.use('Qt4Agg')   # generate postscript output by default

import matplotlib.pyplot as plt
import numpy as np

# Creating a function to plot
x = np.linspace(-10, 10, 200)
p = np.poly1d([2, 3, 1, 4])
y = p(x) * np.sin(x)

# plotting the full figure
fig = plt.figure()

ax = fig.add_subplot(111)
ax.plot(x, y)
ax.autoscale(tight=True)
plt.title('Full graph. (Press key for next plot)')
plt.draw()

plt.waitforbuttonpress()

# This is how I'm currently doing it
# x limits
xmin = 2
xmax = 6

# Calculating y limits
ymin = y[np.logical_and(xmin < x, x < xmax)].min()
ymax = y[np.logical_and(xmin < x, x < xmax)].max()

# Inserting some room
room = np.maximum(np.abs(ymin * 0.05), np.abs(ymax * 0.05))
ymin = ymin + room * np.sign(ymin)
ymax = ymax + room * np.sign(ymax)

# Setting the limits
ax.set_xlim([xmin, xmax])
ax.set_ylim([ymin, ymax])

plt.title('What I want (Press key for next plot)')
plt.draw()
plt.waitforbuttonpress()

# This is what pyplot does by default if I only set the limits
ax.autoscale(tight=True)
ax.set_xlim([2, 6])

plt.title('What I get if I only use set_xlim (Press key for exit)')
plt.draw()
plt.waitforbuttonpress()
plt.close()