On Wed, Feb 8, 2012 at 1:20 PM, Chris <plut...@gmail.com> wrote:

> New error at `git checkout -b mdboom-pixel_marker v1.1.x':
>
> fatal: git checkout: updating paths is incompatible with switching
> branches.
> Did you intend to checkout 'v1.1.x' which can not be resolved as commit?
>
> - Chris

That looks like something I've done before without issue. Maybe you're on
an older version of git. In any case, you can break this up into two steps

# change to maintenance branch
git checkout v1.1.x

# create new branch based on current checkout
git checkout -b mdboom-pixel_marker

Then continue as John instructed.

-Tony