Hello all,

I would like to make small figures (about 3" wide) so that they are exactly
the right size for a LaTeX document I am preparing.  This should be
straightforward, but I fear I am running into inherent limitations in the
matplotlib design.

The particular problem is that the dash spacing for dashed lines seems to
be fixed to a certain number of points.  This looks fine for default figure
sizes, but in a small figure, the dash length becomes comparable to the
width of histogram bars I'm producing, so the output just looks like a
series of unrelated scribbles rather than a coherent histogram.

I've produced a short program below which gives a minimal demonstration of
the problem.

Is there some way to change the length of dashes?

Currently, I am hacking together a solution which involves making large
figures with huge font sizes, but I would much rather be able to match font
sizes exactly by making the figure the right size in the first place.

Many thanks,
Jeff

|| Jeff Klukas, Physics
|| University of Wisconsin
|| http://jeff.klukas.net

import matplotlib.pyplot as plt

fig = plt.figure(figsize=(6,4))
plt.plot(range(20), range(20), linestyle='steps--')
plt.savefig('dashdemo')

fig = plt.figure(figsize=(3,2))
plt.plot(range(20), range(20), linestyle='steps--')
plt.savefig('dashdemosmall')