On Wed, May 23, 2012 at 9:04 AM, Sergi Pons Freixes
<sponsfrei...@gmail.com>wrote:

> On Wed, May 23, 2012 at 11:00 AM, Guillaume Gay
> <guilla...@mitotic-machine.org> wrote:
> > Hello
> >

> > What is the size of a single image file? If they are very big, it is
> > better to do everything from processing to ploting at once for each file.
>
> As stated below, each image is single-channel, of 4600x3840 pixels. As
> you can see on the code, there is not much processing, just loading
> the images and plotting them. What it's slow is not the execution of
> the code, is the interactive zooming and panning once the plots "are
> in the screen".
>
> >> It's 15 images, single-channel, of 4600x3840 pixels each.
> > This is a lot of data.  8bit or 16bit ?
>
> They are floating point values (for example, from 0 to 45.xxx). If I
> understood correctly, setting the vmin and vmax, matplotlib should
> normalize the values to an appropriate number of bits.

I'm not sure what you mean by "normalize the values to an appropriate
number of bits", but I don't think setting `vmin` or `vmax` will change the
data type of the image. So if you have 64-bit floating point images (100+
Mb per image), then that's what you're going to be moving/scaling when you
pan and zoom.

-Tony