Are you trying to make 9 scatter plots?  In your for loop, if you are
trying to make a set of x values and a set of y values, then I think this
is wrong.  Since you didn't provide import statements I don't know which
rand() function you are using.  Assuming it is scipy.rand(), you will only
have one x value and one y value, not much of scatter chart with just one
point :-)

Otherwise, Mike's suggestion is valid.

Regards,
Daniel