On 8/26/12 5:44 AM, klo uo wrote:
> On Sun, Aug 26, 2012 at 12:18 AM, Jeff Whitaker <jsw...@fastmail.fm> wrote:
>> Klo:  The image in interpolated to the Basemap projection region. This is
>> slow - the main reason to use the WMS is to avoid this by having it done on
>> the server side.
> All right, that's the right way anyway
>

>> The trick is to figure out what the EPSG projection code is based on the
>> Basemap projection info, and pass that information to the WMS server so it
>> can do the interpolation.
> Yes, and also to pass right `size` parameter as aspect ratio needs to be
> correct
> Do you want me to try to pair both projections (Basemap name and WKID
> and WKT as they call it)?

Klo:  Since epsg codes comprise a very small subset of possible Basemap
projections, it may be better to just allow Basemap to accept an epsg
kwarg.  That keyword would be required in order to use a WMS to display
a map background. This may be tricky though, since Basemap needs more
information to define a map projection region than is provided by the
epsg code.  We may have to start with just a few supported epsg codes
and then add more as necessary.

I added a testwms.py example to my fork
(https://github.com/jswhit/basemap.git) that shows how to use three
different map projections (epsg codes).