I build from github.

On Thu, Sep 6, 2012 at 10:35 AM, James Morrison <james.morri...@gmail.com>wrote:

> Hi, I downloaded a zip from the master on the github matplotlib
> repository, when I run: python3 setup.py install
>
> I get several 'SyntaxError: invalid syntax' errors which appear to
> highlight quotes
>
> byte-compiling
> /usr/local/lib/python3.2/site-packages/matplotlib/sphinxext/plot_directive.py
> to plot_directive.cpython-32.pyc
>   File
> "/usr/local/lib/python3.2/site-packages/matplotlib/sphinxext/plot_directive.py",
> line 510
>     exec "import numpy as np\nfrom matplotlib import pyplot as plt\n" in ns

My install has:
                    exec("import numpy as np\nfrom matplotlib import pyplot
as plt\n", ns)

^^ [no in]

>                        ^
> SyntaxError: invalid syntax
>
> byte-compiling
> /usr/local/lib/python3.2/site-packages/matplotlib/backends/backend_svg.py
> to backend_svg.cpython-32.pyc
>   File
> "/usr/local/lib/python3.2/site-packages/matplotlib/backends/backend_svg.py",
> line 69
>     s = s.replace(u"&", u"&amp;")
>                                              ^

That matches my file, and seems like completely valid syntax. When I copy
and execute that text myself, it doesn't raise an error. However, I think
the problem may be that python3 no longer accepts unicode strings.

s = s.replace("&", "&amp;")