> I think including a gallery of published examples would be great, however,
> there will be some serious challenges with regards to copyright. It would
> be great to show MPL being used in high impact journals (which it is), but
> getting permission from them to show the plots on the MPL website may
> require some paperwork. So, a list of citations might be a good place to
> start. Here's mine: http://jeb.biologists.org/content/215/11/1783.full

I just came back from a bioinformatics workshop: I was suprised by the
amound of people using matplotlib to display results.
I think it wouldn't be too hard to gather images and published them on
matplotlib's website if the authors are OK with it. Also, in cancer
research, publications and/or plots are often available publicly.

I don't think citations would be as efficient: I personnally wouldn't
bother looking at those.
Here is an example on circos' website of how they advertise the use of
their plotting library in research: http://circos.ca/intro/published_images/

Cheers,