Hi Steven,

I first look at what types of plots and axes are available out-of-the-box. The
gallery and examples sections of the matplotlib webpage are good places to get
ideas about what is possible when programming in this mode.

If there isn't an existing axis type which works, I take one of two approaches.
If it is a type of plot which I will be making many times, I try to make my own
type of axis / projection: see
http://matplotlib.org/examples/axes_grid/demo_floating_axes.html for an example
of what I mean.

If I'm simply trying to reproduce a graphic only once, I will generally fudge
it by drawing a bunch of Collections (usually a PolyCollection or
LineCollection, http://matplotlib.org/api/collections_api.html) on a normal
cartesian axis, and then hide the axes, ticks and ticklabels.

This approach works for me, though your mileage may vary.

Cheers.
Oliver