I'm 64-bit Windows 7 with matplotlib 1.2.0 and WxPython 2.8.12.1.  I
was fiddling around with some of the different backends to see what
they look like and I found that the WxAgg backend doesn't work:

Python 2.7.3 (default, Apr 10 2012, 23:24:47) [MSC v.1500 64 bit
(AMD64)] on win
32
 >>> import matplotlib as mpl
 >>> mpl.use('WxAgg')
 >>> from matplotlib import pyplot
 >>> pyplot.ion()
 >>> pyplot.plot([1, 2, 3])
[<matplotlib.lines.Line2D object at 0x0000000006757DA0>]

        When I do the plot, the figure windows appears, but it's blank
(without even a proper blank background, just a white area) and
immediately shows "Not responding".  I have to kill the window, and
doing so crashes the Python session.  However, it works without the
"ion()" call: I can then call show() and see the plot fine.

        I have wxPython working fine in other apps.  In fact, what's
especially odd is that I actually have an app that directly uses
FigureCanvasWxAgg to embed matplotlib graphs in a GUI, and this seems
to work fine.  So it seems the problem is somehow in matplotlib's own
management of the interactive figure window.

        There was a previous question about a similar WxAgg issue on the list
(
http://matplotlib.1069221.n5.nabble.com/trouble-with-show-not-drawing-in-interactive-mode-w-WxAgg-td39110.html

), but there was no real answer: the poster just decided not to use
WxAgg.  But aren't we really supposed to be able to use WxAgg
interactively?

Thanks,
--
Brendan Barnwell
"Do not follow where the path may lead.  Go, instead, where there is