Filipe Pires Alvarenga Fernandes <ocefpaf@...> writes:

> Yep, that's what I was expecting.  It should fail with both show() and
> the save as 'png' format.  However, it only fails when trying to save
> an 'eps'
>
> -Filipe
>
> On Mon, May 7, 2012 at 1:12 PM, Benjamin Root <ben.root <at> ou.edu>
wrote:
> > On Mon, May 7, 2012 at 12:55 PM, Michael Droettboom <mdroe <at>
stsci.edu> wrote:

> >> That's not a bug.  linewidth is required to be a float, rather than a
> >> string.  Python's typing is generally a little stricter than languages
> >> such as JavaScript.
> >>
> >> Mike
> >>

> > I think the bigger question is why does it _work_ with show()?  I would
> > expect it to fail.  I would rather have it fail everywhere or work
> > everywhere.
> >
> > Ben Root

------
> > Live Security Virtual Conference
> > threat landscape has changed and how IT managers can respond.
Discussions
> > will include endpoint security, mobile security and the latest in
malware

I came upon this thread after a lot of time messing with savefig. I was
trying to get images in some vector format and was specifying linewidth as a
string. Thanks to this thread, I have my images. However, some things I
noticed were:
(1) This error message only appeared when I tried to save as eps; not for
pdf (my preference) or svg.
(2) Shouldn't the exception or warning be raised when the plot call is made
(for me it was bar(...)) ?
(3) using pdf and svg with savefig raised no error. However, the resulting
images were corrupted. Weirdly, in the case of pdf, the only pdf reader I
tried not able to render the image correctly was adobe acrobat. Even the
browser plugin for adobe could do it. In the case of svg, I opened the image
in imagemagick but it did not look much like it should have.