Michael Droettboom-3 wrote
> The issue I filed was related to the build problem you reported -- that
> building matplotlib with a MacPorts python is trying to use the system
> (framework) Tcl/Tk.  That's completely independent of the other problem
> related to ticks, which should not be affected by the backend at all.
> In my quick skimming of this thread, I thought that that issue was
> resolved, but apparently not.  I'll look into that further and file a
> separate issue for that if need be.

I have experimented the setupext.py a little bit and find this change can
compile matplotlib using MacPorts python and Tcl/Tk without conflict:

    def parse_tcl_config(self, tcl_lib_dir, tk_lib_dir):
        tcl_poss = [tcl_lib_dir,
                    os.path.normpath(os.path.join(tcl_lib_dir, '..')),
                    "/usr/lib/tcl" + str(Tkinter.TclVersion),
                    "/opt/local/lib"]  # /usr/lib is replaced by
/opt/local/lib
        tk_poss = [tk_lib_dir,
                    os.path.normpath(os.path.join(tk_lib_dir, '..')),
                   "/usr/lib/tk" + str(Tkinter.TkVersion),
                   "/opt/local/lib"]   # /usr/lib is replaced by
/opt/local/lib

I also replaced this logical statement:
       elif sys.platform == 'darwin':
by
       elif sys.platform == 'dummy':

The reason why I replaced /usr/lib with /opt/local/lib instead of expanding
the
tcl_poss and tk_poss lists is that the system tclConfig.sh and tkConfig.sh
are
located in /usr/lib, while the MacPorts tclConfig.sh and tkConfig.sh are
located
in /opt/local/lib.

I don't think we really need specially treatment for Mac OS, since
tclConfig.sh and
tkConfig.sh will return correctly Tcl/Tk lib/include path. Maybe I am
missing something?

I have tested this and it works perfectly fine. Surely this assumes the
MacPorts Tcl/Tk are installed. Conditions need to be added so they can check
wether
we are using MacPorts Python, wether MacPorts Tcl/Tk exist if using MacPorts
Python.
If MacPorts Tcl/Tk exist then we use /opt/local/lib, otherwise we use
/usr/lib.

Hope this helps. Thanks.

Yuan