ChaoYue wrote:
> Hi Martin,
>
> I don't know tight_layout quite well. Probably you could also split the
> handlers of the barplot into
> and 2 or 3 or 4 parts depending on the number, and then show them in sperate
> axes?
>
> then you create n+1 subplots for the whole figure?

No, the reason why I use stacked bar chart is that I can squeeze the data
into a single figure. It is only difficult for the reader to compare 20
separate barcharts between each other whereas seeing 20 stacked bars in a
single chart on top of each other is easy.

I think your approach combined with something like a future improvement:
fig.savefig('foobar.png', bbox_inches='tight', keep_fig_width=True)
will do the best for me (unused space below the legend will be chopped away
while figure width will be untouched).

Lets see what Ben or others say about the tight_layout rescaling issue and the
"feature request". ;-)
Maritn