Neal,

I like to use partially transparent rectangles, such as axhspan and
axvspan. Some people are not so great with colors, so I try to minimize
line color changes.
If you were going to change line colors, I would do something to the
line style to highlight the difference as well. Below is a little test.

Ryan

### Code ###
import numpy as np

import matplotlib.pyplot as plt

x = np.linspace(0, 2*np.pi, 1000)

y = np.sin(x)

plt.plot(x, y, 'k-', lw=0.5)

plt.axvspan(0.2, 0.4, color='k', alpha=0.2)

mask = (x > 2.5) & (x < 3.0)

plt.plot(x[mask], y[mask], 'r-', lw=2.5)

plt.show()