> You're suggesting that I shouldn't have to do anything with formatters
> and locators if my X values are datetime objects?  Maybe I should
> simply scrub any locator/formatter initialization altogether.

Did that.  Works just as before with my custom FuncFormatter, and with
my explicit AutoDateFormatter.  Hmmm...  Looking at the default scaled
dictionary, I suspect I failed to understand exactly what its scale
is.  Perhaps all the examples I've used so far have generally been
less than 24 hours in duration. Let me play with that, but ask a
corollary question:  Is there some way to get the x axis to display
fractions of a second?  There is no strftime format character
corresponding to that.  (I proposed one on python-dev several years
ago, but I don't think it was ever adopted.)

Thx,

Skip