Hi Paul,

Thanks for your reply, I managed to fix it after I realised the mistake I
was making.

I've currently got a new problem. If you look at the image below, there's a
lot of white showing up around the coasts which ideally I'd like to remove.
The map is drawn using basemap, is there a function/feature that will fill
this in. Or is it a probem with the grib files that I'm using?

<http://matplotlib.1069221.n5.nabble.com/file/n42701/figure_1.png>

If possible, I'd like it to look like the image below. If it is a problem
with our data, is there a way that we can draw a layer of colour on the
bottom to get rid of the white?

<http://matplotlib.1069221.n5.nabble.com/file/n42701/figure_1.png>