Thanks Eric and Kio - ive been trying for a couple of days and i just cant
seem to get my head around the interpolation or masked arrays. Would it be
possible for anyone to give me a few pointers on where to start editing the
script.

Ive tried digesting these tutorials the first one seems to be relevant to
what im trying to achieve by using a Laplace filter but im still having
trouble installing all the modules to be able to play with it more

http://www.trondkristiansen.com/?page_id=846
<http://www.trondkristiansen.com/?page_id=846>

http://www.geophysique.be/2010/05/05/matplotlib-basemap-tutorial-part-03-masked-arrays-zoom/
<http://www.geophysique.be/2010/05/05/matplotlib-basemap-tutorial-part-03-masked-arrays-zoom/>

And reading all of the toolkit doc....several times!

Thanks again