On Apr 23, 2014, at 11:41AM, Jody Klymak wrote:

> On Apr 23, 2014, at  8:35 AM, Chao YUE <chaoyue...@gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> yes, Ben, I understand the difference now.
>>
>> To Mike: I have to select the region of the figure I need in the pdf file
>> and paste it in the powerpoint ... Isn't this you're doing as well?
>
> Why do you need to select a region?  This takes a screen grab that will be
> terrible quality, doesn't it?  Just drag the file into powerpoint (or use
> insert/picture).  If you need to crop the PDF do that in Acrobat, or whatever
> PDF software you use.
>
> Cheers,   Jody

On a windows computer, I found these instructions for inserting a pdf file into
powerpoint: [1]   These instructions indicate that you can not simply insert a
pdf picture, as is done on a Mac, which might explain why he was selecting a
region of the figure in a pdf viewer.

Chao,

I'm not sure if the dpi setting or png format for savefig helped you.  In the
future if you have to cut out a part of a pdf file, and if you are using Adobe
reader, then there is a setting in the preferences for customizing the
resolution of the clip you are selecting.

-Sterling

[1]
http://office.microsoft.com/en-us/powerpoint-help/insert-pdf-file-content-into-a-powerpoint-presentation-HA102809687.aspx