On 2014/04/23 11:19 AM, Michael Mossey wrote:
> I'm sorry, these are questions that could be found in the Axes
> documentation, but I really don't feel like scrolling through 100 pages
> that are irrelevant hoping I can find the relevant functions, which I
> don't even know what they are called. Is there ever going to be a
> concise listing of functions? Also there seem to be a lot of

PRs for doc improvements are welcome!

> undocumented functions related to bounding boxes and copying from the
> background--I had to find Stack Overflow examples to learn about those.

Doesn't the search box in the html docs help?  Or just plain browser
searching when you are looking at the Axes API docs?

I also find that ipython is very helpful, with tab completion and the
question mark for getting the doc string.  E.g., make an axes object and
then use tab completion to see the methods that start with auto, and
follow with a question mark to see the docstring.  Or a double question
mark to see the code.

> What I want to do is
>
> (1) plot a couple of lines with y autoscaling and x autoscaling on
> (2) turn off y autoscaling so the y limits do not change further if the
> x limits are changed
> (3) change the x limits
>
> What axes functions are needed?

try:

ax.autoscale(enable=False, axis='y')

or

ax.set_autoscaley_on(False)

Ugly name for the method, but we're stuck with it.

These differ in that the first one turns y scaling off and then performs
the autoscaling, while the second only turns y scaling off for any
subsequent execution of the autoscale_view() method.

Eric