On 7/2/2014 11:46 AM, Alan Ezust wrote:
> I am still trying to build matplotlib on windows. The instructions on
> 1717 were very helpful, I managed to build the
> prerequisites manually based on the instructions in the dep_build.cmd
> that came from matplotlib-winbuild project.
>
> But when I try to run it I get this error message:

> Traceback (most recent call last):
>    File "<stdin>", line 1, in <module>
>    File
> "C:\Python33\lib\site-packages\matplotlib-1.4.x-py3.3-win32.egg\matplotlib\pyplot.py",
> line 27, in <module>
>      import matplotlib.colorbar
>    File
> "C:\Python33\lib\site-packages\matplotlib-1.4.x-py3.3-win32.egg\matplotlib\colorbar.py",
> line 34, in <module>
>      import matplotlib.collections as collections
>    File
> "C:\Python33\lib\site-packages\matplotlib-1.4.x-py3.3-win32.egg\matplotlib\collections.py",
> line 27, in <module>
>      import matplotlib.backend_bases as backend_bases
>    File
> "C:\Python33\lib\site-packages\matplotlib-1.4.x-py3.3-win32.egg\matplotlib\backend_bases.py",
> line 56, in <module>
>      import matplotlib.textpath as textpath
>    File
> "C:\Python33\lib\site-packages\matplotlib-1.4.x-py3.3-win32.egg\matplotlib\textpath.py",
> line 22, in <module>
>      from matplotlib.mathtext import MathTextParser
>    File
> "C:\Python33\lib\site-packages\matplotlib-1.4.x-py3.3-win32.egg\matplotlib\mathtext.py",
> line 63, in <module>
>      import matplotlib._png as _png
> ImportError: DLL load failed: The specified module could not be found.
>
> I am guessing it doesn't like the filename of the png16.dll file, but
> how do I know what filename it is looking for?
> I noticed I had to rename a bunch of .lib files in order to build
> matplotlib from source, but that was OK since the error message
> said what file it was looking for. How do I determine the correct
> filename to use from here?

It's better to use the static libraries for libpng, zlib, and freetype
(unless you have reasons not to). Rename the .lib files as in the build
script:

<https://github.com/jbmohler/matplotlib-winbuild/blob/master/build_dep.cmd#L236>
<https://github.com/jbmohler/matplotlib-winbuild/blob/master/build_dep.cmd#L214>
<https://github.com/jbmohler/matplotlib-winbuild/blob/master/build_dep.cmd#L247>