Ah... That was not clear. I just retried my first example (with
show->savefig) for all of the backends that I have available: Qt4Agg,
TkAgg, PS, PDF, pgf, Cairo, GTK3Cairo, GTK3Agg. All of the *Agg backends
show the same problem: the other backends work as expected. I will file a
bug report now.

Ryan

On Tue, Dec 9, 2014 at 9:50 AM, Benjamin Root <ben.r...@ou.edu> wrote:

> Interesting. Just to double-check, when you say that it only happens for
> the "agg" backend, are you saying that backends like "tkagg" are
> unaffected? I think at this point there is enough information here to file
> a bug report.
>
> Ben Root
>
> On Mon, Dec 8, 2014 at 6:14 PM, Ryan Nelson <rnelsonc...@gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> Final update.
>>
>> I've done some more searching, and found a couple more things. It seems
>> that this problem occurs with the backend set to "Agg"
>> (`matplotlib.use("agg")), so it isn't related to the interactive backends.
>> In addition, the problem does not occur with a random Polygon object added
>> to an axes; however, I do see the problem when the same polygon is added to
>> the axes as a PolyCollection. See code below.
>>
>> Ryan
>>
>> #####
>> import numpy as np
>> import matplotlib
>> matplotlib.use("Agg")
>> import matplotlib.pyplot as plt
>> from matplotlib.collections import PolyCollection
>>
>> x = np.linspace(0, np.pi*2, 1000)
>> y = np.sin(x)
>>
>> ax = plt.axes()
>> data =np.array([(0,0), (1,0), (1,1), (0,1)])
>>
>> # These three lines work fine.
>> poly = plt.Polygon(data)
>> poly.set_linewidth(0)
>> ax.add_patch(poly)
>>
>> # Comment out the three lines above
>> # Uncomment next three lines, does not work.
>> #col = PolyCollection([data])
>> #col.set_linewidth(0.0)
>> #ax.add_collection(col)
>>
>> plt.axis([-2, 2, -2, 2])
>> plt.savefig('junk')
>> #####
>>
>> On Mon, Dec 8, 2014 at 5:02 PM, Ryan Nelson <rnelsonc...@gmail.com>
>> wrote:
>>
>>> Update 2.
>>>
>>> I made a new Anaconda Python 2.7 environment and cycled through some
>>> different MPL versions. Everything works as I would expect in 1.4.0;
>>> however, moving to 1.4.1 is when the problem occurs. I see this same
>>> problem if I do the OO commands instead of pyplot.
>>>
>>> import numpy as np
>>> import matplotlib.pyplot as plt
>>>
>>> x = np.linspace(0, np.pi*2, 1000)
>>> y = np.sin(x)
>>>
>>> ax = plt.axes()
>>> fill = ax.fill_between(x, y-0.1, y+0.1)