I am getting something, but the speckled stuff is all on one side, and all
monochromatic for most of the pcolormesh plot. I am using basemap 1.0.7 and
a development version of matplotlib. Your code looks correct, so I don't
know what is wrong. Probably worth filing a bug report:
https://github.com/matplotlib/basemap/issues

Ben Root