Plans? No. This is the first I have ever heard of such a feature. You could
always add a feature request for it (this is a community-developed tool).
It might even fold in nicely with the MEP22 work going on to refactor our
interactivity and make it easier to add tools.

Keep in mind that Matplotlib is not the end-all-be-all of plotting in
Python. There are a bunch of other tools that build off of matplotlib to
add more features and functionality. A bunch off the top of my head are:
bokeh, seaborn, mpldatacursor. There are a few others, but their names
aren't coming to me right now.

Cheers!
Ben Root