I doubt that installing Python(x,y) would help because it is a
self-contained distribution of python. QGIS wouldn't necessarally know
about the libraries that it provides. Your best bet is to ask this question
to the QGIS people who better understands how their software is installed
in the Windows environment. How QGIS is installed is critical to
understanding what libraries it can and can not access.

Of course, you could also try one of the windows binary installers of
matplotlib, but I don't know if they come with the Qt4 environment or not.

Cheers!
Ben Root