Chances are, there is some sort of mixup in your installs (as evidenced by
the failure to go back to the previous version). I would try uninstalling
all matplotlib installs, then checking to see if python still sees
matplotlib anywhere (by running the script). It *should* say "No module
named matplotlib" or some such. Once all of that is removed, install
matplotlib again.

Ben Root